Local Tower Information

Wotton-under-Edge Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

Holy Trinity, Wickwar - click for a larger versionHoly Trinity, Wickwar

Gloucestershire

ST723889

See a photo of this tower: 320 x 240 or 800 x 600 pixels.

These bells were cast from the previous ring of six in August 1908 by Gillett & Johnston, who hung them with cast iron headstocks in a new cast iron frame on RSJs.

The bells were refurbished and most of the fittings renewed by John Taylor & Co. in 1970 in memory of Arthur Handoll, a former ringer at Wickwar.

The bells of Holy Trinity, Wickwar
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
13-3-25 26 inE Gillett & Johnston 1908
24-1-25 28 inD Gillett & Johnston 1908
35-3-04 30¼ inC Gillett & Johnston 1908
47-0-00 33 inB Gillett & Johnston 1908
58-3-10 36 inA Gillett & Johnston 1908
611-3-01 40 inG Gillett & Johnston 1908

Source: "Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Mary Bliss & Frederick Sharpe, 1986). Weights of second and tenor from Dove's Guide.


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.