Local Tower Information

Wotton-under-Edge Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

Holy Cross, Owlpen

Gloucestershire

ST799984

Hung with a cast iron headstock on plain bearings in a cast iron frame by John Taylor & Co. in 1912. The bell, inscribed "A gift to Owlpen Church from Jessie Blunt", has a Doncaster crown and is fitted with a Hastings stay. It was provided when the tower was rebuilt in 1912.

The previous bell was cast by Thomas Rudhall in 1770.

The bells of Holy Cross, Owlpen
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
18½ cwt 37 in  John Taylor & Co. 1912

Source: "Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Mary Bliss & Frederick Sharpe, 1986).


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.