Local Tower Information

Wotton-under-Edge Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

St Bartholomew, Nympsfield

Gloucestershire

SO801002

Hung by moulded canons from an elm headstock on plain bearings, with a peg stay and latchet slider. The fittings are by Thomas Mears II in 1837, and the oak frame is most probably contemporary with the bell. There are three chiming hammers operated by a clock that also dates from this period.

According to Rudder's "New History of Gloucestershire" in 1779, "The church is dedicated to St Margaret, and has a tower at the west end, adorned with pinnacles and battlements, in which are two bells". However, no evidence remains of this second bell.

The bells of St Bartholomew, Nympsfield
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
18 cwt 36 inF Thomas Mears II 1837

Source: "Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Mary Bliss & Frederick Sharpe, 1986). Strike note from "The Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Revd Henry Thomas Ellacombe, 1881).


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.