Local Tower Information

Wotton-under-Edge Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

St Kenelm, Alderley - click for a larger versionSt Kenelm, Alderley

Gloucestershire

ST768908

See a photo of this tower: 320 x 240 or 800 x 600 pixels.

This bell was recast from the previous bell in 1913 by Llewellins & James, who hung it with an elm headstock on plain bearings in a new cast iron and steel frame. The Medieval clapper and crown staple from the original bell are preserved in the church, the bell having probably cracked to allow the crown staple to fall out intact.

The bells of St Kenelm, Alderley
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
19 cwt 36½ inBb Llewellins & James 1913

Source: "Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Mary Bliss & Frederick Sharpe, 1986).


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.