Local Tower Information

Bristol Rural Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

St Saviour, Coalpit HeathSt Saviour, Coalpit Heath

Gloucestershire

ST673807

See a photo of this tower: 320 x 240 pixels.

A single blank bell is recorded here by Ellacombe in 1881, the church having been completed 36 years earlier in October 1845. This was replaced by a ring of six bells in 1921 to celebrate the end of World War I, the octave being completed in 1973. They are rung from the ground floor of the tower, the Ringing Room being separated from the nave by a screen that until 1934 stood in the chancel arch.

The electrically-wound clock in the first floor of the tower strikes the hours on the tenor. It has two dials, on the south and west louvres of the belfry.

The bells of St Saviour, Coalpit Heath
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
13-0-01 23½ inG John Taylor & Co. 1973
23-0-22 24 inF# John Taylor & Co. 1973
33-1-09 25 inE John Taylor & Co. 1921
43-3-09 27 inD John Taylor & Co. 1921
54-3-05 29½ inC John Taylor & Co. 1921
65-3-06 31¼ inB John Taylor & Co. 1921
77-0-08 34 inA John Taylor & Co. 1921
810-0-06 38½ inG John Taylor & Co. 1921

Source: Bell data from Nick Bowden and Dove's Guide. Further information from "The Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Revd Henry Thomas Ellacombe, 1881), the website of St Saviour's Church, Coalpit Heath, and a document in Coalpit Heath Ringing Room.


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.