Lost Rings

Wotton-under-Edge Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

St Andrew, Cromhall - click for a larger versionSt Andrew, Cromhall

Gloucestershire

ST692905

See a photo of this tower: 320 x 240 or 800 x 600 pixels.

This tower originally held just these two bells. The clock, given in 1920, struck the hours on the tenor. The bells were rehung by local people in 1937, however in 1948 the tenor was recast into two new tenors for the present ring of six by Gillett & Johnston, its inscription being reproduced (not in facsimile) on the largest of the two. The treble was incorporated into the ring as the fourth, and three new trebles were cast.

The bells of St Andrew, Cromhall
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
17-2-05 34 inB Robert Hendley c.1450
219-3-21    William Evans 1742

Source: Bell data from "Church Bells of Gloucestershire" (Mary Bliss & Frederick Sharpe, 1986). Weight of treble from Dove's Guide. Weight of tenor from Christopher J. Pickford.


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.