Lost Rings

Bristol Branch

Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association

St Peter, Clifton Wood

Gloucestershire

ST578726

The original church on this site opened in 1783 as a Methodist chapel, being consecrated for Anglican worship in 1855. It was equipped with a strange-looking bell-turret and one bell. A new church was built beside it and consecrated in 1882, the old church being retained as a hall. This new church had a tower, although only the lower two-thirds were completed and capped with a pyramid roof. A new single bell was supplied complete with frame and fittings by Llewellins & James.

Both the old and new churches were demolished in September 1939 and replaced in 1952 with a block of flats named "St Peter's House". Nothing is known of the fate of the bell.

The bells of St Peter, Clifton Wood
BellWeightDiameterNoteFounder Date
18 cwt  A Llewellins & James 1882

Source: All from The Ringing World 4372 (page 140), ChurchCrawler (Phil M. Draper), and "Bristol: The Photographic Collection" (David J. Eveleigh, 2003).


Where a bell's exact weight is known, it is given in the traditional way using the British imperial units of Hundredweight, Quarters and Pounds (cwt-qtr-lb) in which there are 28 pounds in a quarter, four quarters in a hundredweight, and 20 hundredweight in a ton (one hundredweight is equal to approximately 50.8 kilograms). However, if only an approximate or calculated weight is known, it is given to the nearest quarter of a hundredweight.

A bell's diameter is measured across its mouth (open end) at the widest point and is given in inches (to the nearest quarter of an inch), one inch being equal to approximately 2.54 centimetres.